Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

First Linky Party: What's your favorite reward or Incentive to use?

thanks to the 3am teacher for the frame!!

With first graders, it's all about motivation.  While I really try to instill that intrinsic need to do your best; there are always a few who will benefit with a little outside motivation.  I have a few that I use...I try to mix it up so no one gets bored. 

click picture to claim your freebie!
  My favorite right now is actually one that a colleague of mine learned about in a training, thanks Mrs. Garcia!  It's called "My Personal  Best."  It's played similarly to the superbowl square game.  You decide what behaviors you're looking for, and to reward the students that step up to the challenge; they get to write their name on a mini post-it & choose whichever square they like to stick it to.  On Friday, or whenever we fill it up; I have them draw a number and a letter & whoever's name is in that square....DING DING DING...they're the big winner!  I usually choose 5-6 students, but this is a great lesson on being a good sport AND probability.   So far, it's worked really well.  The kids would do anything for a sticky note (provided by the school,) and I'm not buying a million prizes! Assembling is easy, I created the board & it's a freebie in my TPT store.  Just print out and glue together.  I included blank squares to piece together, but I'm way to impatient for that--I actually bought a blank calendar and cut off one column to make it 6x6 squares.  It's an instant grid!  Then, just laminate & you're ready for the kids to show you their best!!

Now for the PAR-TAY.  What's your favorite way to reward  your kiddos?  I can't wait to see and hear about all y'alls  great ideas!   And if you're still reading....the first 3 people to link up can have their choice of ANY 1 item from my TPT store!  Just leave me a comment with your choice :)

TBA's Ultimate Linky Party

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Carrie for the shout out! This is such a cute linky!! I am going to try to link up, but I will definitely put this out there!


    Michelle
    The 3AM Teacher
    Visit My Blog
    Email The 3AM Teacher
    Visit My FB Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a linky party. I can't wait to see what other teachers do. But I see that I'm #2 to link up and I would ADORE your Fry-Day Addition Practice. My school has been pushing us to up the rigor of our teaching, which includes time tests, and I feel that your Fry-Day pack would really get my kids excited! Thank you!!
    Liz
    Teaching in the Valley
    teachinginthevalley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! As number one I would LOVE 1st grade Reading Street, Unit R, week 4: The Big Top!

    Jenna
    Just Diving In

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great linky idea! I will definitely link up. Just found your blog and now following!
    Latoya
    Flying Into First Grade

    ReplyDelete